Turky, campbell and geese sexing - pictures

Your light colored turkey is a male, the others look like females. You tell the sex of a turkey by the size of the snood (hangy thing on top of the beak) and by the size of the flap of skin below their head (can't remember the 'right' name for it).

It is impossible to tell the sex of Toulouse geese by sight. You can tell by behavior and somewhat by sound if you know what you're looking for. You'll either have to vent sex or wait til laying season to figure it out.

Since your duck doesn't have a green head or dark tail, I'm guessing female. But you can tell by the sound it makes. A female makes a quacking sound, males have a whispery rasp.

**Correction**--The duck does appear to have some 'dark' at the front of the head near the bill, which would indicate male.

Last edited:
Quote:
idunno.gif

First I've ever heard of a 'bearded' goose. There are geese with dewlaps, but that is a breed characteristic, not a gender one. These are not dewlap geese.

Quote:
Well, it's quack isn't loud, but it doesn't seem to have a curl on it's back either, that's why I'm asking.

The curl would be on the tail, not the back. If the duck is molting or young it might not have the drake feathers. If it doesn't make a loud 'QUACK' sound then it is not female.

Quote:
I agree, looks like 2 toms and 2 hens.

In your video, forward to about 24 seconds. See the pekin in the center that is just 'whispering'? That one is a male. If your campbell makes that sound, it is male.

Unfortunately, videos of geese running away from you doesn't help, I'd need to see them acting naturally to see their behavior and have a 'good' guess at gender.

Male turkeys have longer snoods than females. If the duck has gotten its adult plumage in, it is definitely a girl. As for the geese, you can never accurately tell that breed's gender by a photo. Sorry I could not be of more help.

It seems like the Campbell is a male after all. Here is a new picture:
100753_p1030130.jpg

What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom