Turmeric dosage question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicknmania, Apr 3, 2007.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I need a math expert. Turmeric directions say to give 1/2 to 1 percent of the total ration, mixed up in the feed, but no more than 1 percent. We figured four cups to a scoop; one percent of that approximately 1/2 teaspoon? Does this sound right? I can't reach the distributor for clarification.

2. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    what are you using this for ?

3. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    It is promoted as an Immune System booster; I did some research on it and found that this is substantiated, especially in poultry. Because our flock has gone through some rough times over the winter with exposure to and battling of two different viruses, we are trying to give them every chance, in addition to the other things we are doing we thought we'd try this.

4. ChrissyNC

ChrissyNC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2007
    Richlands, NC
    I failed horribly in math, but I think I might have it. 1 cup = 48 teaspoons, so if you have 4 cups to 1 scoop then 1 scoop = 192 teaspoons. 1% of that is almost 2 teaspoons.

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Thank you! I was trying to do it by figuring out how many ounces....Lord knows how I came up with mine, I can't remember...I failed horribly in math, too. But at least I ended up with 1/2 percent!

6. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    The amount should really be calculated by weight rather than volume. This would require a scale, though. Doing so in the metric system would be much easier as well. I mean, because 1% of a kilogram (1000 grams) is 10 grams. Digital scales that can change between metric and ounces/lbs are very inexpensive. Most have a handy tare (zeroing) feature, too.E

Edit: Wow, I should have read the date of the original post before commenting. Some serious thread necromancy just happened [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by