turmor/growth? pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by summerb76, Aug 9, 2008.

1. summerb76

summerb76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    This is a 3 day old chick. This growth is the size of a fignger to the 1ts joint. It is not a blocked/pasted poo hole. She eats,drinks,poos fine. It is causing her to have a hard time walking on the right legs. Is mostly hops on the left leg. Does anyone have any idea what it is or could be? I thought maybe an unabsorbed yolk sac, but i have no experience with chicks yet. Please any advice would be awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Omphalitis...

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    What are the chicks walking on?

It almost sounds like the chick is going splay-legged on you. Make sure you have shavings, and not newspaper, for the floor of the brooder.

I think the "bump" is just the yolk sac. It's been absorbed into the body, because you don't see the yolk, but it hasn't been used yet. Young chicks look strange, just give it a few days before worrying about it.

-Kim

4. summerb76

summerb76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    They are all walking on newspaper covered in lots of straw. Her legs seem fine except for the bump keeping them from moving good. I will keep a close eye on her legs now. If it is the omphalitis is there a remedy or just let it be? I wish I could help her. Also she is the olny one of 28 that look like this. Will she die from it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by