Turn around for Nutri Drench ::UPDATE:: Can hens have allergies?

JakRat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Dover
Whats the turn around for nutri drench? I have a little hen that is just sleepy all the time. Eats, drinks and sleeps. Her comb and wattle are a bit pale. No mites. Her poop is a bit dry and the usual white stuff has some dark yellow in it.

I gave her Nutri Drench direct tonight. She has also been on tylan 50 for about 2 weeks now for a runny nose and chest congestion.

Last edited:
What are you feeding her? How MUCH does she eat and drink? Is the Tylan mixed in her water or injected? The nutri drench should make a quick difference. Are ALL of her poops like that? How long has she been so lethargic? How old is she? Is she inside and being kept warm?

Since you've had her on antibiotics for so long, I'd get some yogurt in her. Plain, unsweetened yogurt with several kinds of flora if you can get it. You called her "little" is she a bantam or a small large fowl or just that she's smaller than you? I ask because it will make a difference in how much yogurt you give her. If she's a bantam and she's never had it before, I'd just give her a teaspoon. If she eats it, wait a while and give her some more, it depends on how speedy her digestion is right now.

Let us know what she's eating and drinking and how much.

What are you feeding her? How MUCH does she eat and drink? Is the Tylan mixed in her water or injected? The nutri drench should make a quick difference. Are ALL of her poops like that? How long has she been so lethargic? How old is she? Is she inside and being kept warm?

Since you've had her on antibiotics for so long, I'd get some yogurt in her. Plain, unsweetened yogurt with several kinds of flora if you can get it. You called her "little" is she a bantam or a small large fowl or just that she's smaller than you? I ask because it will make a difference in how much yogurt you give her. If she's a bantam and she's never had it before, I'd just give her a teaspoon. If she eats it, wait a while and give her some more, it depends on how speedy her digestion is right now.

Let us know what she's eating and drinking and how much.

She is eating Layena crumbles. She eats and drinks normally, her crop is full. Tylan is being given orally at .1cc since she is a serama and only weighs about 8oz. All of her poop is like that as of a few days ago. She is about 9 months old. She has always been REALLY laid back. She will run around for bugs and seeds. I only really noticed a bit of a change the other day when she tried to jump up on my shoulder and couldnt. This is what she does a lot of the time. She just hangs out on my shoulder and sleeps. I am going to bring her in in a bit and give her some yogurt. I am just kinda stumped on what the problem is. I am not sure if maybe it has something to do with the weather too?

Is her crop is ALWAYS full, maybe she's not digesting? Does it empty by morning? There's lots of info on here about crop bound birds.

Yeah her crop empties out. I brought her inside and she is having some yogurt and crumbles right now... she is just kinda hanging out. I stopped giving her the tylan today, so I will see if maybe it was that. She is still a bit sniffly though not near as bad as she used to be.

Oh and I checked the poop chart... it almost seems like the coral colored urates but its with every dropping.

She is lovely. I hope she gets well quickly!
Might I suggest you got as a pirate for Halloween with your little sidekick on your shoulder!

I know right! She doesnt have the best of balance though... that may be a symptom of her ailment though. My husband calls me the crazy chicken lady.

SO she is still hanging out in our bathtub. Sleeping still, but eating and drinking. She is pooping much more, and it is looking more normal vs the dried stuff. I have been giving her a small amount of nutri drench a few times a day. She still cannot jump up very well. I gave her some yogurt yesterday.

When should she start moving around more? Her comb is already much redder than it was a few days ago.

SO she is still hanging out in our bathtub. Sleeping still, but eating and drinking. She is pooping much more, and it is looking more normal vs the dried stuff. I have been giving her a small amount of nutri drench a few times a day. She still cannot jump up very well. I gave her some yogurt yesterday.

When should she start moving around more? Her comb is already much redder than it was a few days ago.
I know next to nothing about vpchickens, but to me it sounds like she is on the mend! Hooray for parrot chicken!

I know next to nothing about vpchickens, but to me it sounds like she is on the mend!
Hooray for parrot chicken!

Yes. She was in the yard this morning walking around more than she has been, but this afternoon she decided to take a nap in the daffodils. Her cuteness is ridiculous. I sat there and watched her nip at the dew on the grass when she was thirsty. adorable. Maybe I should rename her Opal of the Seven Seas!

Back
Top Bottom