Turn light on in the morning now to ensure eggs in Winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sacchicken931, Sep 16, 2009.

1. sacchicken931

sacchicken931 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2009
    Sacramento
    I have 1 RIR, 3 aracaunas and 1 gold sex. They are 6-7 weeks old now. If I want to ensure eggs in the winter, around the time they should be mature enough to lay eggs, should I start turning the light in the coop on in the morning now (to increase total daylight hours) or closer to when I expect eggs in December or January?

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I would give it another few weeks, they are still pretty young and the days are not terribly short yet. Can't base it on experience....my older pullets have yet to start laying (anyday now....I'm waiting....) and my little ones are about the same age as yours and still in quarantine but I have not added lights yet. I will give them an extra hour or two in a couple of weeks but these little guys will probably not lay for another 3 months or so....

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Try going without the light. Mine laid just fine through the winter without any supplemental light, and some feel that "pushing" them can be hard on their bodies. Unless you are just keeping them for a year or two, in the long run it is probably better for them to "go natural" with egg-laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by