Turn-X Incubator Model TX4 (New for 1976)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by svaughnos, May 6, 2011.

1. svaughnos

svaughnos Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Riverside
    I was given this incubator by a friend (He was the original owner) and have plugged it in and made sure everything is working. Temperature reads 100 degrees and the humidity "Wet Bulb Thermometer" read 86 degrees when all but 4 water cups in the base plate were filled up. I am going to get my eggs tomorrow from Mike at blackcopperchef.com in Pomona. This will be my "First" time at all of this. Any suggestions? Thanks for all the help! :)

2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    [​IMG]

Hi,
    Since it's a "new" [​IMG] incubator, I would do a test run with some inexpensive fertile eggs to see how it works.
    Then you'll know what adjustments you need to make when you run more expensive eggs.
    Good luck [​IMG]
    Carolyn

3. svaughnos

Apr 5, 2011
    Riverside
    I am going to try this set of eggs. Where can I buy a hygrometer quick? I think that if I have one that I can put in there to check the humidity on a moments notice I can keep a handle on that condition. Right now you have to open the lid and put the wick on the thermometer to check the humidity.

4. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    You can digital hygrometers at Radio Shack, Walmart and analog at Petco, Petsmart in the reptile section.
    Carolyn

5. svaughnos

Apr 5, 2011
    Riverside
    Thanks. I will get one.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Walmart has them in the garden section, around $10, sometimes $8ish... The work great.

7. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I would also check at a tobacco store that sells cigars and humidors and supplies. I bought my hygrometer on eBay from a cigar supply store, and I think it may be a more precise instrument than a digital model from Walmart. I got a tiny one to use in my Mini Advance incubator, and it was only $10. And very accurate.

8. svaughnos

Apr 5, 2011
    Riverside
    Well I bought a Hygromometer at the Tobacco Leaf $19.99 and my readings are right at 80 degrees. Temp is 100 degrees. I am soo nervous! The book says turn at least 5 times but I read that the automatic turners turn every hour. Will it be ok if I only do it 5 times? Set to hatch on May 28, 2011.

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    If I were you I would check on the breeds humidity requirements. 80% humidity sounds high to start off with to me. But, all breeds are different. I usually run around 40-50% humidity the first 18 days, but that is for silkies.

10. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I think the auto turners rotate every 2 hours. Always make sure that you have rotated an uneven amount of times. Either 3, 5 or 7. Rotate them as much as you can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by