Turnbull Farms hatching quail egg reviews/opinions?

CajunChickenGuy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 15, 2014
I just ordered 48 jumbo brown quail hatching eggs and was wondering if anyone could share any past experiences with them? Hatch rate, size of eggs and quail (compared to other jumbo eggs/quail)?

I found info on James Marie Farms about an hour after ordering from Turnbull...James Marie Farms is only a couple hours from my place! If I wouldn't have jumped the gun they would have been my choice due to the great reviews and proximity. I'm just looking for good stock to start out with.

No replies, so I will use this thread as my own personal review. So far:

Zachary Turnbull (owner/operator) was extremely friendly and took the time to update me and answer my questions.

Eggs arrived on time. 4 out of 48 were cracked...which, in my amateur opinion, seems like a completely acceptable number with shipped quail eggs.

I will update with my hatch rate. I have low expectations with this being my first ever hatch and having eggs shipped in the summer.

I do have the benefit of a brand new Brinsea Eco 20 keeping my temp. just right, turning for me and making humidity easy to manipulate.

I just wanted to post my hatch results for anyone considering buying eggs from Turnbull Farms. Out of 44 eggs placed in the incubator, 33 hatched. All 33 quail chicks are perfectly formed and doing great.

I would absolutely recommend buying eggs from them. A+

I just wanted to post my hatch results for anyone considering buying eggs from Turnbull Farms. Out of 44 eggs placed in the incubator, 33 hatched. All 33 quail chicks are perfectly formed and doing great.

I would absolutely recommend buying eggs from them. A+

Do you have a scale and can you weight your newly hatched chicks? Curious to compare quails from different sources.

Kherome, the Brinsea worked wonderfully well. I adjusted it slightly (1 degree) to get a consistent 100F temperature, and it held there perfectly throughout the hatch. I also put this $4 hygrometer inside the incubator to monitor humidity. I have very accurate temp and humidity measuring devices that I use for work, and both the Brinsea thermometer and this hygrometer were accurate. I keep the humidity low in my home (typically 35-45%), so with both channels full of water my humidity maintained 45-50%. On lockdown, I put a towel under the egg basket and in both channels to maintain 60-70%. The Brinsea ECO 20 worked perfectly and kept its temperature and humidity steady even with changes in my home's conditions. Well worth the money.

Cookiesdaddy, unfortunately I don't have a scale accurate enough at such small weights. I will get one this week so that I can comment on future hatches and the grow out rate of these. It also would have been nice to weigh the initial weight of the eggs.

This is the $4 hygrometer that I stuck on the inside of my incubator. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00026053Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I wasn't expecting accuracy, but it was very accurate. I would recommend it, as long as you have another device to check it against.

Last edited:
I just wanted to post my hatch results for anyone considering buying eggs from Turnbull Farms.  Out of 44 eggs placed in the incubator, 33 hatched.  All 33 quail chicks are perfectly formed and doing great.

I would absolutely recommend buying eggs from them.  A+
wait till they grow out, you will be thrilled at their size. I was.

My birds from Turnbull Farms are 3.5 weeks and weighing in at 6.0 to 6.7 oz. Seven of the twelve I ordered hatched and one was white with a couple of black spots. No matter, he's second largest of the bunch. Love these birds.

I ordered a dozen back on Sept 20th. I've never seen a quail in real life and my incubator is only a styrofoam ice chest. I've had great results with incubating chicken eggs so I thought why not try quail. Seemed to take forever for the eggs to arrive but they finally did. No cracks or breaks. Out of 12 eggs, 6 hatched and 5 survived. I have one roo and four hens. I'm getting one egg a day so far. In my limited experience with quail...I would say turnbull is the place to get coturnix eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom