turned my daughters white silkie BLUE!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mrs. Turbo, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    We were washing the silkies yesterday for the show this weekend and I guess I used too much bluing!!!! AHHHH! To make it worse they are my daughters. I guess we are only going to take the 2 "white" ones and one splash.....lol

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Ha, I saw your subject line and just *knew* what the story was going to be -- used to happen all the time with white show ponies and kids who figured that if a little is good a lot is better, or who 'glooped' at the wrong moment. Unfortunately I know of no cure except time when it happens to horses, possibly not for chickens either.

I don't suppose the judge would believe them as REALLY blue "blue" silkies? LOL

Sympathies and commiserations (and thanks for the chuckle),

Pat

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh some pics please [​IMG]

sorry about that [​IMG] but it at least is comical [​IMG]

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Well I hope your "New" Splash does good at the show... [​IMG] [​IMG]

There was a young girl at our county fair that washed her White silkies in Bluing and they turned a Hot Pink color..
    I could never figure out why they turn pink.. She had used white rags to wash them and white towels to dry..

Chris

5. Mrs. Turbo

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    well she dried mostly white with a hint of blue.....most of it on the feet. Guess I will leave her home this time. Should have taken a picture of her wet, you could really see the blue.

6. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Next time try using Tide with Bleach Alternative, it will get them white without the risk that bluing creates.

How did the show go?

7. Mrs. Turbo

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Show was fun. Brianna had the only silkies in the Jrs which I thought was odd.

8. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Mrs. Turbo :

Show was fun. Brianna had the only silkies in the Jrs which I thought was odd.

Wow, that IS odd. So I guess she got BB eh? Which one?​

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I don't find many juniors with silkies here. Now and again, but not very many. I don't think anyone entered a silkie in the junior show in Tucson yesterday. And for the regular show only one silkie was owned by a junior that I know of, although there is one exhibitor name that I am not familiar with. I'll call down there and ask about both.

10. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Lol had to laugh I remember when my aunt turned her big white dog into a big blue smurf. Thought my uncle was going to faint when he saw his prize winning smurf lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by