Turned toe

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gapey, Oct 16, 2014.

1. gapey

gapey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    I just noticed one of my black copper marans chicks has a slightly turned toe on her left foot. I just noticed it today and looked back at some older photos I took of her and looks like it's always been that way. Not sure if there is much I can do to straighten it. Will it cause problems when she gets older? It doesn't seem to bother her now. I guess I need to pay closer attention to things like this when getting chicks. I didn't actually pick them out but went to a farm that had a lot of chicks and if I had noticed I could have asked for a different one. Oh and she is 3 weeks old.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have a barred rock with the same out turned side toe - on both of her feet. Got her at 3 days old and it did not show up til she was a couple of weeks old. Read all I could to see what it was and all pointed to a B12 deficiency or genetic issue. I gave all my chicks supplemental B12 but Road Runners toes never improved. She's a nearly 20 month old hen and it doesn't' bother her. But soon I think I will be trimming those nails, because she cannot wear them down. I worried she may be more prone to bumble foot injuries, but so far none.

3. gapey

gapey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    Ah that is a good idea. I will keep an eye on her toe and trim the nail if it looks like it needs it.

4. LaFarm

LaFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2014
    Same as sunflour, I have a barred rock with a turned out toe on each foot. It didn't show up until she was a couple months old. She doesn't seem bothered by it but we do have to trim her nails. We just hatched a chick from her...so far, no signs of it in the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by