Turned toe

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gapey, Oct 16, 2014.

1. gapey

gapey Songster

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    I just noticed one of my black copper marans chicks has a slightly turned toe on her left foot. I just noticed it today and looked back at some older photos I took of her and looks like it's always been that way. Not sure if there is much I can do to straighten it. Will it cause problems when she gets older? It doesn't seem to bother her now. I guess I need to pay closer attention to things like this when getting chicks. I didn't actually pick them out but went to a farm that had a lot of chicks and if I had noticed I could have asked for a different one. Oh and she is 3 weeks old.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have a barred rock with the same out turned side toe - on both of her feet. Got her at 3 days old and it did not show up til she was a couple of weeks old. Read all I could to see what it was and all pointed to a B12 deficiency or genetic issue. I gave all my chicks supplemental B12 but Road Runners toes never improved. She's a nearly 20 month old hen and it doesn't' bother her. But soon I think I will be trimming those nails, because she cannot wear them down. I worried she may be more prone to bumble foot injuries, but so far none.

3. gapey

gapey Songster

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    Ah that is a good idea. I will keep an eye on her toe and trim the nail if it looks like it needs it.

4. LaFarm

LaFarm In the Brooder

Oct 15, 2014
    Same as sunflour, I have a barred rock with a turned out toe on each foot. It didn't show up until she was a couple months old. She doesn't seem bothered by it but we do have to trim her nails. We just hatched a chick from her...so far, no signs of it in the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: