Turner failed!

darbella

Songster
11 Years
Nov 2, 2008
New Hampshire
OH NO!!! I think my turner had stopped turning and I didn't realize it! I had put a coin on the top of an egg last week because i thought I was allways catching the turner in the same position, but I think small vibratin (?) from the turner motor may have been what caused it to fall off. Now I candled the eggs (that were shoing signs of life last week) last night and most of them appear to be dead..I am devastated over this. Do you think the remaining eggs will hatch out?? They are due this Sunday. Would I be better off placing them on the grid of the bator and allowing them to "rock" themselves around at this point? I plan on contacting the company as this is only the third hatch I have used this turner on.

Some people are trying not turning for the second half of the hatch. If you can't see much this late in the hatch it doesn't mean they're dead. Sometimes you can't see when the chick fills the egg. I would treat them like they're going to hatch.

So far there is no odor coming from the bator. Is that a good sign?? When I candled them, it appears there is a black irregular shape "attached" to the inside of the shell. Some of the air sacks are extemely irregulas and on a slant. so you think I should wait??? At least until Sunday and see what happens??? I am so confused! Is there a site that has actual candleing photos???? Of what ids a dead egg, etc...??

Is it an LG turner? The motor on my turners burned out regularly. I always had a spare motor and spare circuit board on hand in case of failure. Though a turner failure isn't as bad as the board frying and the bator temp running up to 115 (which it did once).

-Cindy

Everything about your candling seems real normal - the first time I saw those irregular air cells I thought I had really lost them all, but it's the way they look. No odor is always nice. There are candling sites but don't know if they give a good look that late in the hatch.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom