Turner in brinsea Mini eco

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 3riverschick, Mar 15, 2017.

1. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi, is it possible to put a Turner in this mini eco incubator. Anyone done it?
    Plus, I am looking for another incubator. Has anyone investigated all these ones coming out of Asia for under 100 dollars? Found any exceptional ones? Looking for one that does everything the Brinsea Mini Advance does but less money.
    Thanks,
    Karen

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  2. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    No one has any input on this? Thanks for any help you can give.
    Best,
    Karen

3. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Has anyone ever tried to put a turner in the Brinsea Mini Eco?
    Best, Karen

4. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    Hi Karen, unfortunately, I don't have much input on this one other than to heartily (so far) recommend the mini advance II. I'm a first-time hatcher and so far it has taken a LOT of the stress out of the process. We're on Day 14 and it's just perking along happily. Temperature has been rock solid, humidity is very easy to control. It now has an outside fill point so you don't even have to open the bator to add water! The Brinseas hold their value really well. Is it possible to sell your eco on eBay or somewhere and put that money toward an advance or other bator with an automatic turner? It might be as cheap as trying to add a turner, and I can't recommend the advance II enough!

Just a thought. I hope you'll get some responses about adding turners, too, to help with your decision!

5. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi Colorado, I have 2 mini advances. I want a 3rd and was thinking an option might be to add a turner to an Eco. Ever hear of anyone doing that?
    Thanks
    Karen

6. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    I'm sorry, I haven't heard of that. But it seems like someone could! Perhaps if you found a scrapper advance (sometimes they're on Ebay with cracked domes or something) I think maybe you could remove the motor and put it in the Eco...hopefully someone who has done it will chime in! On another note, how do you like your advances? This is my first hatch in mine. Any suggestions/tips/warnings?

7. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    I just love mine They are durable, easy to use, and very forgiving of any management errors
    The first time I used it, I had a problem with hatched chicks stomping the unhatched eggs. Turning the unhatched eggs upside down so the other chicks couldn't hatch right. But I found the bators came back to Temp and humidity real quick
    So I had great success removing the dome and taking out broken egg shells during hatching. Then the newly hatched chicks tend to stay in the area where the broken shells were and not climbing over unhatched eggs. See next post.

8. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Needs to be done quickly. Remove or tilt dome quickl. About 5+9 sec. For the whole thing
    Do not turn the dome upside down as that will let the heat and humidity out. Quickly remove broken shells. Replace the dome, making sure chick feet and toes don't get pinched between dome and base. The chicks tend to want to hop out when the dome is lifted. My bators come back to Temp and humidity in bout a minute. I haven't had the procedure affect any hatching success.
    Best, Karen

9. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    I don't know how smart a baby. Chick is. But it makes sense to me that having struggled to hatch from the egg, the chick would want to get away from the shell. If the shells are left in, it makes sense to me the chicks would not want to stand in then.m. I think perhaps this may be all instinctual. Just something I observed. I wonder if there are any studies on hens kicking egg shells out of the nest
    I mean the unhatched eggs are dry and not covered in the goo from which they just "escaped,'.
    Interesting thought.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  10. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Been doing some reading on the side subject of chicks and broken egg shells in the nest. Real interesting. Parents throw egg shells out of the nest to keep the predators away. Apparently the color of the broken shell attracts predators. Some birds even drop the shells in the water. Also to keep the nest clean and sanitary. So if the parents have this instinctual behaviour...I wonder if the chicks know instinctively that being close to broken egg shells is dangerous. I know when I observed my newly hatched chicks,... it seemed more like a frantic scramble to get away from the broken shells than just wanting to escape an uncomfortable surface of broken egg shells.
    Also, chicks go to warmth. One of the warmest things on that incubator are the unhatched eggs. Perhaps this begins the argument for a separate Hatcher when they are ready to pip.

Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by