Turning a failed LGD into a pet?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rosemarythyme, May 18, 2019.

1. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I've been looking into adopting a young Anatolian Shepherd - Great Pyrenees mix who was surrendered as a failed LGD and the shelter is offering him up as "pet only." Wondering if anyone on here has any experience turning a working dog into a pet or if there's no way this'll work and I'm crazy for considering it (and the shelter crazy for offering him as a pet).

He would NOT have a guarding job at my house, as our chickens are locked up and fine as is. Only "job" I can think of for him is accompanying me as I work in the yard and garden or maybe being a jogging partner but I don't know if that'll satisfy him enough to keep him from becoming bored and destructive.

He does seem calm and even tempered for his age, but of course it's hard to judge a dog in a shelter environment.

2. Thornflower_gal

Thornflower_gal Chirping

Mar 18, 2019
    Oklahoma
    LGDs can be great pets from my experience, they're not destructive if taught right and they are good companions.

3. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 fuhgettaboutit

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    What has he been accused of for them to label him as a failed LGD?

penny1960 likes this.
  4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Chasing large livestock. Was ok with smaller animals such as sheep but chased cows.

penny1960 and Mimi’s 13 like this.
  5. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 fuhgettaboutit

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    I am gonna have to say unless you were needing this dog to guard cattle or unless it will have access to cattle you will be fine making the dog a new addition to your family. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised that the benefits will outweigh any possible risks, if there are any at all. I have reaped untold rewards from a little, starving Shepherd/Pyrenees mix that showed up at our house just a few years ago.

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Thanks both for the feedback. While I have large dog experience I've never looked into adopting a (former) working dog so wasn't sure if that would make a difference as far as integrating him in as a pet.

And we have no large livestock (nor do any immediate neighbors) so the chasing shouldn't be an issue. I did already do a preliminary meet and greet with one of my dogs and they were polite with each other, so going to do a meet with both my dogs tomorrow and go from there.

Mimi’s 13 and penny1960 like this.
  7. Kholts

Kholts Chirping

Feb 11, 2019
    Canada
    I have a Great Pyrenees with A pinch of Turkish Kangal as a pet in an Urban setting. He is great! He does take it upon himself to protect our yard and will bark if someone/animals are in the back alley or on our property but it’s not a constant barking more of a letting you know someone’s close/stay away from my yard bark. He’s all bark and no bite.

He is the resident yard tour guide/body guard and follows you all around and loves to be by your side while out. He loves walks but is not a jogger (too lazy). His walking time cap is about 45 mins, anything past that and he’s panting and his pace slows considerably.

Honestly I don’t think you would have much issue/little issue acclimating him to the pet life style. The dog may like spending more time outside then in (the only thing I can think of) as it’s used to being outside.

As for boredom, there are always boredom busters such as stuffed dog bones or toys, treat balls, obedience training & treat hunts. Every dog needs a bit of stimulation once in a while but in my experience GP’s are pretty laid back.

8. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    You shouldn't have a problem. LGD's do need some obedience training. Be aware that they are independent thinkers.

9. Kholts

Kholts Chirping

Feb 11, 2019
    Canada
    x2 the independent thinker part! You’ll never have a 100% recall

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  10. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    It's why I was thinking of having him out as my gardening companion (especially since my other dogs don't want to be outside for a second longer than they have to). Would be kind of fun to get a little wagon and teach him to pull things around.

Mimi’s 13, Kholts and penny1960 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: