Turning a horse shelter into a coop...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by theemartinfamily, Jul 17, 2011.

1. theemartinfamily

theemartinfamily New Egg

Jul 9, 2011
    Morning folks! Here's the space we are working with for a coop. So far I've just planned to cover all the sides with chicken wire, put in a door and put in the boxes along one of the walls. Am i forgetting something? Do ya'll have any visions for it?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WestfarthingHomestead

WestfarthingHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Alaska
    Good morning![​IMG]

Looks like it's got good, sturdy 'bones.' I think what else you do depends on your climate and predators. We live in Alaska with bears and wolves and zero temps in the winter. Our needs are a lot different from someone who lives in, say, Florida.

3. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    I agree they will need some where to get out of the wind maybe coop with in the shelter. Id pick a corner and build a coop for more protection from the elements and predstors.. But you have the starting of a great coop and run for them.

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    That is a terrific prospect!
    I turned my horse stalls into chicken coops. But I agree with the other poster, it depends on what you want and what your area is like as to what you may want to do with it.

5. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I would suggest using hardware cloth or welded wire instead of chicken wire. Anything that wants to get in can easily tear through the chickens wire.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Can you give a general idea of where you are? Climate will make a huge difference. And I agree, don't waste money on chicken wire; it's for keeping chickens in, does nothing to protect from predators.

I LOVE the basic bones of it, looks great! [​IMG]

7. Chicky Monkey

Chicky Monkey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    We did the same thing when we found new homes for our two horses. The tack room became the inside coop and the stalls became their 'outside' run. We used heavier fencing than chicken wire to enclose the stalls, as most anything can get into chicken wire. You might want to board up part of it, as, if you want eggs, chickens will need a little privacy and protectiveness. I'm new to this, and am learning as I go, so GOOD LUCK and I hope you have a fun time with your chicks!

8. theemartinfamily

theemartinfamily New Egg

Jul 9, 2011
    Thank you for all the replies! We are in Palm Beach County Florida (South East). It is hot and humid all summer, and very nice all fall and winter! We just need to enclose the stable in some manner, and fence in the stable and the chicken yard. We have Coyotes, Coon and opposums here. Along with other random predators, so we know we have to secure them well.

My brother in law suggested that I make the nesting boxes raised in the middles of the structure like an island, for easy cleaning. Would that be beneficial?

ANyone have photos of stables or shelters converted?!

Thanks!

9. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Chickens prefer to nest in a darker, out-of-the-way place. Makes them feel more secure. One heck of a start for an awesome set-up though.

10. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Man do I wish I had something like that to work with. All kinds of possibilities. Good luck with your ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by