Turning a metal shed into a coop?

acissej

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Duvall, WA
I am already planning for a few years down the road when we build a garage and will have a metal shed we will no longer need. Sounds like a perfect time to expand my flock methinks! We noticed that when we first got the shed it held condensation like CRAZY and all of our stuff was getting wet, so we added vents in the front and back and now it seems fine. Has anyone used a metal shed for a coop before? I do worry about condensation since I know it's prone to that. I also worry about it getting too hot or too cold. I could always add more ventilation.

Last edited:
Seems that way, but I'd give it time. I'd be concerned with the temperatures myself (then again Northern Maine gets a little bit colder than Washington State. If you could build a thin wall on the inside,2x2's and 1/4 inch plywood for example, it might help. No formal insulation would be needed, because the airspace would probably do it. How large is it and how many birds/which kinds would be kept in it (curiosity leads me to ask this)?

this is mine and it works good
053-2.jpg

Quote:
It's 10x14 (I think) so that would be fine for max 35 chickens, which is probably more than we'd want anyway. Haven't decided on breeds at all at this point!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom