Turning a profit off of your eggs?

I do sell/give away the eggs my family doesn’t use, usually around 5 dozen a week at $3.50/doz. It would be nice if I could turn a profit, but the little bit I get just offsets my feed costs a tad. I think most backyard chicken keepers do it for love. I’m not sure how realistic it would be for me to think about actually making money.

I do sell/give away the eggs my family doesn’t use, usually around 5 dozen a week at $3.50/doz. It would be nice if I could turn a profit, but the little bit I get just offsets my feed costs a tad. I think most backyard chicken keepers do it for love. I’m not sure how realistic it would be for me to think about actually making money.

Yes that's what I thought not really in it to make a profit but of course getting money for feed does help. Just having the chickens is the blessing:)

but of course getting money for feed does help.
I have been able, in the past, to cover all feed and most bedding costs with the sale of eggs...and I only have ~12-15 layers and 3-6 regular customers.

Now that I have been playing with pure breeds(neither stellar layers) to make olive eggers, the monies balances have creeped into the red/hobby zone.

You'll only know what your balance is if you keep very close track of all expenses and sales. I use a spreadsheet to do so.

I have been able, in the past, to cover all feed and most bedding costs with the sale of eggs...and I only have ~12-15 layers and 3-6 regular customers.

Now that I have been playing with pure breeds(neither stellar layers) to make olive eggers, the monies balances have creeped into the red/hobby zone.

You'll only know what your balance is if you keep very close track of all expenses and sales. I use a spreadsheet to do so.
Yes you would definitely need to use spreadsheet, but still would be worth it because
you are allowed to deduct your expenses against your revenue even if it is a hobby:)

Back
Top Bottom