1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

turning after day 14

Discussion in 'Quail' started by NTD, Mar 15, 2011.

1. NTD

NTD New Egg

Feb 13, 2011
    I have a setup of coturnix with 1 male and 5 females. I get 5 eggs a day and have been setting them daily. With all those eggs in the incubator I can't keep track of when day 14 is for which eggs. Also I'm not doing anything to lower the humidity for the last days because the bator is full of other eggs that aren't ready to be dropped in RH yet. Does it hurt the older eggs to be turned after 14 days? What about not having the drop in humidity? If so how do you guys get around that? Do you just set a full group at once in an incubator and not set anymore eggs in that one? I'd think you'd have to have a handful of incubators to do that? I'm confused. Thanks for any input.

2. chickgrowerdan

chickgrowerdan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Parkersburg, WV
    The reason for stopping turning the eggs in the last 3 or 4 days is so the chick can position itself to break free from the egg. It is important to stop turning. As for the humidity you should be raising it near the end not lowering it.
    I would recommend holding eggs for 2-3 days and setting bigger batches at one time. I keep my staggered settings separate by using the lid parts from paper egg cartons, which is convenient for hand turning also. More experienced birders can shed much brighter light on this subject than I, but I hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. RiverOtter

RiverOtter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    I separate different hatches into little baskets in the incubator.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    #1 Mark Your Set Dates On The Eggs Themselves With A Sharpie Pen So You Can Keep Track More Easily
    #2 They Will Hatch Despite Turning(may Not Get As Good A Hatch, But They Will Hatch-- Resilient Lil Buggerz They Are [​IMG] )
    #3 You Increase Humidity The Last 3 Days, Not Lower It

5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Oops.... #4 Start Storing Up Batches Of Eggs And You Will Have Less Staggering And Stats To Keep Track Of, They Store Well For About A Week And Actually Incubate Better If Stored For 3 Days Minimum

6. NTD

NTD New Egg

Feb 13, 2011
    Thanks for the replies everyone. And oops on the lowering humidity last few days...which I haven't done [​IMG]

I have thought about holding eggs and setting a group at once but I have no place to store the eggs. Everything I've read says 55F storage. I live in Tucson, AZ...there is never a place in my house that is 55F. Can they be stored at mid 70 degree room temps for 3-4 days?

7. NTD

NTD New Egg

Feb 13, 2011
    Ttt.....

8. chickgrowerdan

chickgrowerdan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Parkersburg, WV
    I keep mine at room temp with no noticeable complications.

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THAT'LL DO FINE FOR UP TO 10 DAYS, AFTER THAT HATCHABILITY TAKES A SHARP NOSE DIVE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by