turning an old doghouse into a coop?

kelzey

Songster
Aug 14, 2020
newfoundland and labrador, canada
i don’t have any pictures of it right now because it’s in an incredibly inconvenient spot and it’s too big for me to move on my own, but i have an old doghouse that’s around 5x4 and like 4 feet tall i think, give or take a few inches. it’s quite large for what it is and was never actually used. just been sitting out in the weather for a couple years so it needs a bit of TLC. i’ve seen a few people make posts about turning doghouses into small coops, is this worth it? i think i’d use it for my two silkie cockerels (7 weeks old this wednesday) as i have my main coop for my bigger girls and i don’t feel comfortable mixing the boys in with them. it’s just sitting there begging me to do something with it

kelzey

Songster
Aug 14, 2020
newfoundland and labrador, canada
Sounds perfect! You'd have to add ventilation and roosts. Nest boxes too, because if you ever end up using it for hens it'll be nice to have them.
yes definitely! i might as well do all that because if it turns out good then eventually i’d like to have a small flock of bantams, how many bantams do you think would be okay in a coop that size?

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
i don’t have any pictures of it right now because it’s in an incredibly inconvenient spot and it’s too big for me to move on my own, but i have an old doghouse that’s around 5x4 and like 4 feet tall i think, give or take a few inches. it’s quite large for what it is and was never actually used. just been sitting out in the weather for a couple years so it needs a bit of TLC. i’ve seen a few people make posts about turning doghouses into small coops, is this worth it? i think i’d use it for my two silkie cockerels (7 weeks old this wednesday) as i have my main coop for my bigger girls and i don’t feel comfortable mixing the boys in with them. it’s just sitting there begging me to do something with it
Where in Canada....what are your low temps.
Smaller structure maybe hard to ventilate well.

Top Bottom