Turning an old rabbit hutch into a banty coop ??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by EasterEggersRULE, Oct 25, 2011.

1. EasterEggersRULE

EasterEggersRULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    The hutch is 42inches long and 2ft deep and 2ft high on the inside.The hutch is on 2ft legs. Its a very very nice hutch made of fir has been on our porch but i moved the rabbit inside and i am going to turn it into a banty coop. One side is a wood door and that will be the nesting area/roosting area and the other half is a hardware cloth door. I am going to add on a 5ft run that 2ft wide and 3ft tall. I will have a ramp coming down from the bottom of the hutch after i remove the hardware cloth flooring (half of the flooring is wood and its in the nesting/roosting area) and make some ajustments. How many banties can i hold in a set up like this ??
    I will allow them to free range for a few hours a day when i am outside gardening. I do have one standard barred rock hen i will probably be adding to.
    Will it work or do i need to build a seperate coop ?

Thanks in advance !!!

2. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    i think it could work! post pics of it please

3. EasterEggersRULE

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    Quote:Ok how do i post pics on here ?

4. EasterEggersRULE

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    [​IMG]

Let me know if this works. (excuse the oprington and the white fence he has a broken toe i splinted and is leaving tomorrow)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  5. EasterEggersRULE

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    [​IMG]

Should work now. (again excuse the oprington and the white fence)

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I have a BO and they are so sweet. You must love your girl too? Am I right ? So cute and lovers

7. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    3-4 It depends on the weather where you are

8. EasterEggersRULE

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    Quote:Yes i love my BO its a he though. Our neighbors are being very kind and allowing me to keep him until thursday when he goes back to my friends he got steped on by a horse and has a broken toe i had to splint.
    I have to be careful cause all of us around here have outlaw chickens [​IMG]

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Is this the chicken with the toe bent under his foot broken, poor little thing.

10. EasterEggersRULE

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    Quote:Is this the chicken with the toe bent under his foot broken, poor little thing.

He has a fracture about 1/4th up his middle toe and i splinted it so it would heal proporly. It seems when ever you keep chickens near horses they get steped on all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by