turning by hand VS. auto turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ()relics, Feb 21, 2009.

1. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    I have my own theory but would like to hear everyone's opinion...and I'm sure everyone has one...I guess I am unsatisfied with any methods I've tried and can't seem to get the hatch rate of a broody chicken with the same eggs.

2. j.luetkemeyer

j.luetkemeyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2008
    Mid-Missouri
    I don't have an opinion either way, yet. I have noticed something regarding the auto turner that I haven't read on this forum. As the egg turner turns to each side the elevation of the egg drops. If you have a still air incubator the temperature of the air at the top of the eggs decreases as well. I have recorded a 1.5 degree temperature change from straight up to fully tilted to either side. My hatch rate has not been that great. I have a feeling this is my biggest problem.

3. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I like the auto turner you just plug it in and you don't have to worry about whether or not you turned them. I have not hatched many eggs yet, but on my second hatch 11 of the 12 eggs that were fertile hatched and are great.

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    j.luetkemeyer :

I don't have an opinion either way, yet. I have noticed something regarding the auto turner that I haven't read on this forum. As the egg turner turns to each side the elevation of the egg drops. If you have a still air incubator the temperature of the air at the top of the eggs decreases as well. I have recorded a 1.5 degree temperature change from straight up to fully tilted to either side. My hatch rate has not been that great. I have a feeling this is my biggest problem.

you have consider the average temp.. there are many reasons for a poor hatch.. temp control is not at the top of the list..

whenever there is a post with "VS" in it, that is what you will get.. usually nothing is resolved in the end..

If it were not for automatic turners, I would not hatch eggs.​

5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I'm a newbie and I hatched 37 chicks out of 42 eggs with a still air bator and I did not have a humidity gadgit either. I did turn my eggs but the only thing I did not like about turning is that they are very smooth and my DD dropped one and I had several close call. Just giving you my experience this first time around. Don't know much about a turner.

6. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Me too I accidentally ordered to many eggs and they all did not fit into the turner so I had to turn some by hand (I was so mad). I kept hoping for infertile ones so i could move them to the turner. Luckily it worked out even so now no more hand turning. I ordered and extra bator and turner just in case this happens again!! [​IMG][​IMG] so the hubby thinks lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by