1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turning Eggs 18th day

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ktown55, Dec 8, 2009.

1. ktown55

ktown55 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    East Tenn..
    Hello Everyone,,,I Really Don't Know How To Ask This,But Anyway,This Thursday,12-10, Will Be the 18th Day The Eggs Have Been In the Bator..Do I Still Turn The Eggs On The 18th Day Or Not On The 18th day? Or How Dose that Work?? Thank You For Your Help..
    I'm Looking Forward To My Chicks To Hatch.....First Time...Wish Me Luck......Thanks:)[​IMG][​IMG]

2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    I see it as the 18th day is the last day I turn the eggs. Then they go into lock down for the last 3 days.
    Nancy

3. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I put mine in lockdown on the 18th day, as my Bantam Cochins hatch a day or two early usually. It doesn't seem to hurt hatch rates.

4. ktown55

Nov 24, 2009
    East Tenn..
    Thank You For Your Help With This...One More Thing...I Know I Need To Rase The Humidity On Lockdown, But Do I Need To Rase The Temp Also..Or Leave It At 99-100 ??

5. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    The temp stays the same.

6. ktown55

Nov 24, 2009
    East Tenn..
    Thank You Nancy.....[​IMG]

7. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I stop turning on day 18 unless I have some early hatchers (that I know routinely hatch early and then I stop at day 17.

Please don't change the temperature.

Blessed and happy hatching to you!

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Doesn't actually matter. When I feel like it on that day or the night before or the more after I pull them off the turner and raise humidity. If I'm hand turning I turn them one last time sometime during that day or the night before and raise humidity. I've stopped turning several times on day 17 for various reasons such as not going to be home the next day and I've not gotten them off the turner several times until day 19. Makes no difference to the hatch so long as your temperature has been correct so they actually hatch on day 21.

9. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    I usually put them on lockdown at the end of the 18th day. They get turned as normal until that point. Raise humidity but leave temp the same. Good luck!!! I hope they all hatch for you!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by