Turning eggs

davidinthailand

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2017
I read that eggs in an incubator need turning 3 - 5 times a day. I generally could do this but I want to go on holiday next week and am wondering if I can get away with just leaving the incubator turned on for a week. Neighbours here in Thailand tell me that they certainly don't turn their eggs, not sure what success rates they have.
This will be the first time I try my box out .... there shouldn't be any problems with humidity!I am more afraid that temperatures will be too high at this time of the year... is that a problem?

Thanks

I am wondering the same thing. I put a Call duck egg in the incubator just to see if it would hatch, but now it's on day 3 and I am forced to go on an unexpected trip for a couple days. So it wouldn't be turned for like 3 days, don't know if the yolk would settle and the embyro would stick

Conventional wisdom is you will have a reduces hatch rate if not turned several times a day. It seems the first week is critical from studies published on the internet. I think the visual of an embryo sticking serves to illustrate the necessity of turning the eggs, but studies suggest that's not the reason it's required. On a side not, I have had good results not turning quail eggs.

Thanks.
I just put them in the box today. We started removing the eggs from this bird because she decided to nest in a place where cats can get at her eggs.
They were at room temperature ( 24 to 34 °C) for a week before that.
Maybe I should have put them in the incubator straight away.

Conventional wisdom is you will have a reduces hatch rate if not turned several times a day. It seems the first week is critical from studies published on the internet. I think the visual of an embryo sticking serves to illustrate the necessity of turning the eggs, but studies suggest that's not the reason it's required. On a side not, I have had good results not turning quail eggs.
That's sort of what I thought, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom