turning eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mdbucks, Aug 13, 2007.

1. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    when did the powers that be decide that eggs had to be turned 3 times a day do automatic turners do it constantly or just 3 different times

I thought I remembered turning eggs in morning, and at night O's & X's and we hatched out quite a few good batches as a kid

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The auto turner that comes with the Hova turns them from one side completely to the other in 4 hours, I believe, but it does it all night as well, unlike handturning. I don't know if I'd chance doing it just twice; I've heard some say that, but I would think three times would more likely insure you the best hatch.

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I just seem to remember only turning two times and we didn't have many not hatch, so i was just wondering if this changed or I just dont remember right< I'm sure some one did a turn consstantly, turn 1time, turn 2 times and found 3 tobe best it just wondering when this changed

hova model 1602 incubator with a model 1611 turner

Little Giant 9200 Incubator and Turner

opinion? which is better, and what should be a price for good used??

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  4. speckledhen

I'm sorry, I don't know since I didn't have any experience with hatching till recent times.
    I vote the Hova with turner. I believe it's slightly roomier inside and I like the turner better. That whole setup may cost around $130 new, so guess only you could say what you would pay used. Depends on how USED it is, I guess.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Alot of us made our own incubators. Years ago we always turned morning and night - O's and X's! I, too, am surprised at the new 3x's a day turning policy. When we hatched goose eggs in a dry bator we always sprinkled them, too. Just like a momma goose. LOL

6. silkiebeginer

silkiebeginer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    The lady at Meyer hatchery told me their turners turn their eggs every hour. Now that is toooo much turning for me. But I turned mine every 8 hours the first 2 weeks and then Before work, after work and at bedtime after that. And i ended up with 18 out of 20 hatch.

Jennifer

7. speckledhen

I guess every four hours means the Hova turner turns them six times in 24 hours. I'd say that is probably much more than they need to be turned to hatch, but I like not having to open the bator to turn eggs myself. We also have a homemade bator that my DH built that works fine, too, and I can put the Hova turner inside it.

8. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Quote:Those turners will work in a homemade one? Do they have their own power supply? Or how does it work i'm interested now

9. speckledhen

If the bator is large enough, they will. You have to have a hole for the electric cord to run through is all. Here is the bator, made with log cabin siding and plexiglass viewing window. It shows the homemade turner, but a full sized Hova turner will fit nicely and we've used it in there, but I dont think I have pics of that. He cut it down to half in height because the inside volume was too much to heat up evenly and one siding-piece high worked better:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    If or when you have a chance could you give me the measurements of the turner? My cooler might be wide enough for one to fit. Are the red containers where you put your water? I like your set up you have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by