Turning eggs.

LocalJuiceBox

Chirping
Mar 15, 2022
Since I just got my new clutch, I wanted to know how often should I turn them per day, and how often should I candle them?

Always an odd number, 3 or 5, turn them back every other turn. Stop turning on day 18. Most people candle every 3 days, but it can be more or less. Be sure of the temperature and humidity sensors on your incubator, always calibrate them. :]

Always an odd number, 3 or 5, turn them back every other turn. Stop turning on day 18. Most people candle every 3 days, but it can be more or less. Be sure of the temperature and humidity sensors on your incubator, always calibrate them. :]
Unfortunately my incubator is still on the way so they are in a homeade incubator .Thank you!!

Can you store the eggs until the incubator arrives?
Or have they started incubating/developing?
The chickens eggs are being stored but one , a duck egg is already very far along. Taking up most of the gg and only showing some yolk and veins. The other duck eggs have barley started to develope

Last edited:
The chickens eggs are being stored but one is already very far along. Taking up most of the gg and only showing some yolk and veins
oh okay, if they've already started to be incubated then that's understandable.
Why do you keep taking eggs that are already developed? I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I'm genuinely curious- You'll probably won't have as good a hatch rate when transporting living developing eggs to another incubator.
Are these from under a broody at the farm you work at? Is there no way you could've gotten fresh eggs?

Anyways, hopefully the incubator comes soon! That should help!
Candle at 7 days, then at 14, then at 18/before lockdown, I think. Personally I candle every few days, but you just have to make sure that they're developing, remove any that arent, and remove quitters before lockdown

Back
Top Bottom