Turning eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JenniferJoIN, Dec 26, 2007.

1. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I'm hoping to work on my homemade incubator today. I'm trying to design an easy way to turn the eggs from the outside of the bator.

So what is the proper way to turn eggs? do you tilt them to the left and to the right and to the front and the back? If so, how much of a tilt is it?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    If I remember right the top should be slightly tilted down. Make sure you put and X and a O for morning and night turning. I used to turn about 8 times a day but now I got an auto turner. Hope this info helps a little

3. JenniferJoIN

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    So do you 'tilt' the eggs? I'm still not understanding what the proper procedure for turning them is...

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Yeah the top of the egg. It should be slightly tilted.

5. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    You put an x on one side and an o on the other and flip them. You don't tilt, you flip, on their sides.

6. JenniferJoIN

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    So the eggs are actually laying long ways, not sitting up? Sorry that I'm not getting this, I haven't seen any examples on how they are supposed to be!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You only mark the eggs if you are going to lay them on their sides and turn them by hand, basically roll them over several times a day. If you use an autoturner, they are upright and only tilted back and forth several times a day. Here is one homemade turner we did that tilted back and forth by a pvc pipe as a handle:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My incubator does not have a turner...you just lay the eggs down like they would be under a hen...I always lay the eggs big end at the top side of the bator and work my way down with how many eggs I have...usually holds 14 to 18...I put an O and an X in pencil on facing sides of the egg and turn 3 times a day...works for me....

long ways is right...big end of egg on the top side .....

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  9. JenniferJoIN

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Ah. Speckledhen, your design was what I actually had in mind! That helps a lot.

And Tuff, thank you... if I end up going the hand-turning route, your explanation was great!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Jennifer, that is just the bottom cut off a milk crate. It cuts with tin snips just fine and fits an egg flat perfectly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by