Turning eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Zed, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Zed

Zed New Egg

Apr 17, 2008
    What are the do's and don'ts of turning eggs??

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

DO turn 3 x day, and DON'T forget!

3. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    A course in turning the eggs. [​IMG]

Put an X on one side and an O on the other side. Turn at least three times a day. Come day 18 after candling eggs. Stop turning, make sure incubator is watered for humidity according to the manufacuturer instruction. Wait for eggs to pip and hatch. [​IMG] Patience and more Patience.

4. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    Make sure your hands are clean and free of creams etc. too.

One friend wears white cotton gloves (the kind that people wear who handle photographs).

Donna

5. Zed

Zed New Egg

Apr 17, 2008
    The discussion that I’m having is this:
    A incubator turns eggs that are basically vertical and flips flops them side to side…is that correct?

Must the eggs be horizontal and then turned top to bottom?
    Or must you keep the large end up at all times (vertical) and turn (twist) the eggs?

What is the correct position of the eggs and what does “turning’ really mean??
    Are you turning to keep the yolk centered? If so, does that mean keeping the eggs vertical?
    Slightly off vertical?
    What exactly is the reason for turning 3 times a day? What’s going on in the egg??
    Is it more important to turn at the beginning of the incubation or ….???

6. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    Put eggs in a paper carton large end up. Put a block of wood under end of carton. Switch block from end to end 3 times daily. On day 18 stop lifting the end and wait until hatch.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I don't have a turner in my small Lyons incubator, I mark the eggs with an X on one side and an O on the other..lay them big end towards the back of the bator and pointy in towards the front, turn three times a day...

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    A major reason for turning eggs is so the chick doesn't get stuck to the shell, as I understand it.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Turning helps keep the yolk from settling to one side and to exercise the embryo....

10. Zed

Zed New Egg

Apr 17, 2008
    Thanks Shelly,

I will use a small pc of 2X4 (1.5in high) to lift one side of the doz carton, i have 12 eggs sitting upright and will flip flop them ..to me that is not turning...i like the flip flop - no need to handle every egg 3 times a day...

Hope i understand this correctly...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by