turning eggs ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MSH, May 16, 2011.

1. MSH

MSH Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    ok so I have been turning the eggs 3 times a day and am supposed to stop turning them and keep the doors closed on the bater friday my question is what happens if they keep getting turned I'm asking just to ask I really don't know anything about this except that the incubater stays between 97.8 and 101.0 degrees and that I turn them 3 times a day to keep them from being deformed ? also has anyone ever tried a dry hatch my dad was telling me about this and sounds complete opposite from what everyone I talk to does ?

2. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    Your temp sounds great.
    What I do is turn 3 times a day until day 18, then you must stop as the chick is getting ready to hatch. Its known as "Lock Down" you just check often to make sure the temp is good and that the humidity is up a little bit for the hatch. I haven't tried a dry hatch so I couldn't tell you [​IMG]

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Ok. Lockdown is Friday? Stop turning Friday (or Thursday Night) This will give the chicks time to coordinate themselves to pip and hatch. Have you candles the eggs thus far?

Have you been doing dry hatching all along?

That is a big temp fluctuation. What are you using to regulate temps?

4. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Why are your temps fluctuating so much? I keep my still air incubators at 99.5-100 all the time! I do not worry about humidity (I don't add water) until day 18. I turn my eggs 3 times a day as well until day 18. I have had a great hatch ratio....I've been hatching for about 2 1/2 months now. I do staggered hatching though....hope this helps you!

5. MSH

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    Ok. Lockdown is Friday? Stop turning Friday (or Thursday Night) This will give the chicks time to coordinate themselves to pip and hatch. Have you candles the eggs thus far?

Have you been doing dry hatching all along?

That is a big temp fluctuation. What are you using to regulate temps?

my temps have been staying within .2 degrees of 98.9 lateley at first I didn't have it insulated good enough but I say those temps because that is what I started with lol I have candled and all look good so far I only had 3 bad eggs out of 38 my humidity is at 48 right now I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about dry hatching because it sounded easier but from what I read here it wouldn't work it would cause freeze dried chicks or something just wanted feed back on it [​IMG]

6. MSH

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    Quote:sorry I'm a bit dimwitted lol how do you do staggered hatching ?

7. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I set eggs everyday...I usually put about 5 or so in at a time. So, I have 5 going on lockdown on this day...etc, etc. I have one incubator that I use as a hatcher....and 3 incubators full of eggies!! [​IMG]

8. MSH

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    got it lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by