Turning eggs

henney penny

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Northern Maine
I was told to turn my eggs only twice a day,has anyone done this and had a good hatch?From what I have read the least you should turn is three times a day.Also I got shipped eggs and one was broke out of 18,I was told to leave them upright in the incubator for 10 days to heal any tissue that might be injured and not turn them.This is my first time incubating I need some help.

One of my neighbors had eggs in the incubator and I had to babysit for them while he was away. I turned them twice a day (before work, after work) for a week and he had 80% hatch. He told me he usually only turned them twice also.

The turning thing might be a little over done, in my opinion. You don't want the chic embryo to stick to one side of the inner egg and cause deformity. However, I doubt a broody hen sitting on a dozen eggs actually rotates each egg 3x per day. Some people don't turn at all and have had successful hatches, but it seems the vast majority will do some turning at least daily.

The 10 day thing for shipped eggs doesn't right. You should maybe do 1 day, but that's it. And since it's summer time, you should probably get them in the bator as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom