Turning eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chick1043, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Hi, I'm thinking about hatching some eggs! I know you are exposed to turn them three times a day but what about at night? And is there a special way to turn them? Like vertically or horizontally? Do I just role them over or what? Haha, Thanks.

2. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I turn mine twice a day usually, sometimes three or four if I'm home. I keep mine in egg cartons to make turning easier since I can't fit an auto turner in my homemade bator. Turning each egg can get really time consuming if you're setting quite a few and you're letting more heat and moisture out when you have the bator open for longer. So since mine are in cartons I cut some 2 x 4's into triangles and I just flip the cartons from one side of the triangle to the other. Takes less than 10 seconds [​IMG]

3. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    So do I flip them from side to side or up and down? Does it matter?

4. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    When I hand turn mine, I put an X on one side and an O on the other. Make all eggs have the same letter up and turn then from X to O three times a day.

5. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Do I turn them UP and DOWN or SIDE to SIDE? Okay here's the egg- O Like this ^v or <>????

6. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    I said I put the X and O on the sides. You then from side to side. Three times a day. Good luck
    Edit to say: You turn them from side to side.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

if they are standing upright (pointy end down) you ALWAYS keep the large end up.. just tilt them from side to side like \\ /
    if they are laying on their side just roll them over a bit

8. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Okay! That makes a lot more sense! Thanks!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by