turning eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by naightengale, Aug 19, 2013.

1. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    ok so id like to konw the best number of times/frequency to turn eggs??
    just added 36 eggs to the new junkubator2 and have read anywhere from 3 to 9 times a day.. would like some experinced people to give me their opinion on whats the best method??
    thanks

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If hand turning the eggs, I'd turn them five times a day. Write an X on one side of each egg, and an O on the other. This lets you know if you have turned them all. Handle them as little as possible.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I usually turn my eggs five times a day. But the more you turn them, at least in my experience, the stronger the chicks are when they hatch. One of my incubators has an automatic egg turner that turns the eggs every hour. Of course, that isn't practical when you are manually turning them, but it produces some nice vigorous chicks.

4. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    i have them in egg cartons with handles on the out side so id ont even have to lift the lid to turn..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    these are "work in progress" pics of my junkubator while we were building it. but gives you an idea of what ive got to work with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by