turning eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daddyssteeler, Sep 6, 2008.

1. daddyssteeler

daddyssteeler Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    we borowed a incubator from a friend and were told to turn the egss twice a day we forgot to turn them in the mornigng a couple of days can this interfere with the growth?

2. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    I s'pose it is possible it could affect the embryos, but even though I've never incubated an egg (yet!), I think you prob'ly didn't do any harm. A chicken has a brain the size of a pea, and still manages to incubate a clutch of eggs. A sitting hen doesn't keep track of turning eggs... She just jostles them around whenever she comes back to sit on them. She moves them around a bit as she tucks them under her body.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  3. daddyssteeler

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    ok thanks that makes me feel a little better

4. daddyssteeler

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    when i candle the eggs i see white specks what does this mean? my flash light is also not a led light so that night be the problem i dont know

5. daddyssteeler

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    have have been told this is a diseae is that true

6. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    It could just be an imperfection in the shell. witch is normal. For example, the shell wall isn't as thick in that place. I would think that it will be just fine. But, I myself am new to incubating.
    Most people suggest to turn 3 times a day so the time the eggs is on each side is equal. Also, some people(I included) put an X on one side and a O on the other so I can make sure they get put on the right side.
    Using that for an example, say on a Monday you lay them on X side facing up in the morning then turn to O in afternoon, and then on X again in the evening. On Tuesday you would switch to O in the morning, ect. ect... thus continuing the pattern ad each side gets equal share on that side.
    To keep track I make a little chart. But then again I'm overly organized. [​IMG][​IMG]
    I hope I didn't confuse you too much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by