1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turning eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JWBFARM, Apr 1, 2015.

1. JWBFARM

JWBFARM New Egg

Jan 15, 2015
    I have a Janoel 48. I watch the turner and every time 2 hrs clicks off it turns the egg from all the way from the right, to all the way to the left, and then all the way back to the right and then stops. Is this normal?

2. abunner

abunner New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Hi, I'm actually chasing the same answer, I set mine up after I got my eggs (rookie mistake) and it did the same, I couldn't find the answer so I turned them manually. I set 32 eggs and only 16 made it to lockdown but then had 15 of the 16 hatch so I was happy with the end result. Wanting to do another batch but hoping to use the auto turner this time.

3. JWBFARM

JWBFARM New Egg

Jan 15, 2015
    Is yours doing the same as mine?

4. TxChick77

TxChick77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    Southeast Tx
    Sorry to bud in, but I'm trying to decide if i want an automatic turner or do it manually. ..I understand that they should be set fat end up, but do they need to turned side to side or flipped fat end to skinny end....or combo of all of the above?

5. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    In a turner they stay fat end up and the turner rocks them side to side. If turning them manually the eggs lay on there side and you basically roll them over. Mark an X or something on one side, so X up then you turn them X down.

I'm not familiar with Janoel incubators, but I would think it should go from the right for two hours then left for two hours. I don't see the point in moving it if its just going to go right back to where it was. Again not familiar with them though. Hova-bators go from side to level in the middle then to the other side.

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's a side to side motion not flipped end to end. An easy way to achieve this is to incubate in egg cartons. Place a small block or some legos stacked under the side of carton to tilt the eggs. Not end to end rather side to side as the more tilt you can provide the better. When "turning" lift the carton and turn around so the eggs are tilted in opposite direction.

The more you can turn a day the better your hatch rate will be. When starting to hatch I turned manually to very good success but as the years went by got lazy resulting in poorer and poorer hatching. I eventually broke down and purchased an auto turner so now can achieve 100% hatch, my best turning manually was 85% and that went down as the years went by. Any of the turners will fit any of the models of foam table tops. For instance I've a Hova-bator yet purchased a Little Giant turner on sale at TSC.

Day 18 I'd take the eggs and lay them on side over paper towels for easier clean up. They'll hatch just fine in the egg cartons but preferred them not falling out of upright shells in cartons to incubator floor.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  7. TxChick77

TxChick77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    Southeast Tx
    Ok, thanks. I have got some day old chicks coming at the end of the month, but my hubby wanted a breed that wasnt available. I found some hatching eggs so i thought we could try incubating knowing the odds arent high for shipped eggs. I dont want to spend a ton of money on this project as most funds are going to the build of the coop.

I'm home all day so turning them wont be an issue. Think we'll just go with the basic model

8. abunner

abunner New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Yes JWBFARM mine is the same as yours. When googling to try to find the answer I did find a YouTube clip (quite disturbing actually) of a mass production hatchery that did say that their incubators tilt 45 degrees and back again every 2 hours, I will try to find the post and send you the link. It made me cringe seeing the little chicks get tossed around the conveyer belts.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  9. abunner

abunner New Egg

Apr 1, 2015

10. JWBFARM

JWBFARM New Egg

Jan 15, 2015
    Thanks I had 48 last month in mine and did not do well at all. 15 was not fertile and a few quit and then some was stuck in the shell. All I hatched was 10. I have done well with my foam incubator so I put that tuner in this round and see how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by