Turning goats into a business

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by weedeater8, Dec 25, 2016.

1. weedeater8

weedeater8 Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Okay, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm looking into getting goats to make goat milk lotion, soap, etc. with. The business end is what I'm struggling with, such as; what kind if licenses do you need to have to sell? I don't feel like I'm getting a clear answer from Google. I live in Georgia. I'm already very passionate about this. Can someone help shine a light? I would desperately appreciate it.

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Why don't you google some goat milk soap and lotion producers? They should be able to help you. If you are going to be selling at farmer's markets, contact the people who run the market. Hope this helps.

3. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    It depends on your state. Your state should have a website for the government, you could check there. You could ask your local county ag agent. I would think your local state taxation and revenue dept. would also be a good place to look as they usually are in charge of licensing but it all depends on your local laws.

You could also just go in to a small store and ask the owner how to get a business license, once you find out the right place to go, ask them about the products you are wanting to make.

As a small business owner, I can't emphasize enough that you have to ask locally. I live in NM and have absolutely no idea of the laws in GA. Sorry I can't be more help, but try asking the people I've mentioned and that should help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by