Turning help!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Oct 21, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have 3 eggs from my OEG hen in the bator. These eggs were being brooded by my dad's cochin mix hem. We had only noticed her 'missing' for about a week. That was about a week ago. The eggs all had very large air sacs, and they looked to be closer to day 14. I was candling them to see if they were moving. I was gonna toss one when it PEEPED at me!! I quickly moved it to the hatcher that has a few other chicken eggs, as well as quail eggs in there to hatch.

Out of the other 2 eggs, I could see one moving, but the other, I didn't see any movement, and couldn't detect any veins. I went ahead and put these in the hatcher as well, since they were being brooded at the same time, as far as I know.

I don't know when they are supposed to hatch!!! Will it hurt the other ones, if they aren't close enough to their hatch date, to stop turning them?

Also, the one that peeped at me had pipped in the small end, technically, as this hens eggs are basically uniform. But it is the end without the air sac. Will it be OK??

<edit> I took these eggs from the nest, because the hen had a total of 15, had just left it, and most of the eggs were cold. Evidently she was unable to cover them properly, or she just didn't know what she was doing. This was her first time laying/brooding.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    the one with the pip is it pipped through the egg shell to the air. how far along are the other eggs that you are turning

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yes it is pipped through the shell, and I didn't notice any blood. The humidity in the bator is around 35% though, not intending to hatch in it.
    The other eggs are I don't know how far. The hen was only brooding a week that we knew of, but these eggs have looked like they were around 12-14 days ever since I brought them in. Plus they have really huge air sacs! Almost half the egg! So it is hard to say exactly how long they were brooded.

4. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    chances are it is going to get stuck in there . How long has it been pipped through the egg shell if not long just watch it. you will prob have to eventually have to help it have you done that before

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have helped some. The last time I checked it, it looked like it was trying to zip. These eggs are so uniform that I can't even put them in the turner for a few days. I have to let the air sac evaporate some to tell which end is the 'big' one!

I am just worried that it will start bleeding... That is my biggest fear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by