Turning hens broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LaurynRose, Mar 21, 2016.

1. LaurynRose

LaurynRose Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2015
    Missouri
    Hi I am in 4h this year and I am wanting to do an experiment where I turn some or one of my hens broody. I have three Silkie hens and one Wyandot hen. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for turning hens broody. Then, if they went broody then if I could give them fertilized eggs and have them hatch them. Thank you for any feedback.

2. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California
    I have 4 silkie hens and 1 silkie roo. I have been hatching their eggs in an incubator. Last month, I started letting their babies (now 2 to 3 months old) visit with them. A couple of days after the babies started visiting, one of the hens went broody, then 6 days later another went broody. They hatched 7 eggs, and I just threw a couple more under them to see if they can finish hatching those.

I have NO idea if the visiting baby chicks helped them go broody, or if they were going to go broody anyway.

Good luck with your experiment!!

1 person likes this.
  3. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Sometimes people say that leaving a lot of eggs (fake or real) in the nest encourages a hen to go broody
    Remember, you're working with a living animal, not a machine. But if you do have success convincing one of your hens (and silkies are usually very inclined towards broodiness!) to go broody, please let me know :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by