1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turning hens loose

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gidgarden, Nov 14, 2014.

1. gidgarden

gidgarden Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2014
    Raleigh NC
    I have four hens very friendly get along well with each other, good layers. Do I let them run free on days that I am home and will they come back to the coop on their own?

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. If your hens have been sleeping and laying in your coop then it should be imprinted on them as their home, and they will return to it each evening. If you free range them during the day, just make sure that you keep an eye on them if there are any predators in your area. It would be a shame to lose your flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us.

Ranging is a personal decision. Agree that if you decide to do so, do it with supervision. You can try favorite treats to get them to come back to the coop when you want them back in.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

You could probably free range your hens, and they would return to their coop. However, there are many risks when free ranging: predators, getting lost, etc. It is your decision as to whether you want to take the risk of your flock not returning home one day.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I personally would not let my birds out to free range and be gone all day. You take big risks when you free range, especially for long periods of time. All kinds of dangers out there from hawks, fox, dogs, coyotes, all kinds of day time danger. You might keep them in a large sturdy run during the day and when you get home from work or school, let them out for a few hours before roosting time. I usually call my birds in with some goodies and always do a head count at night. Get them locked in before the killing hour of dusk.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

Yes, your hens will probably come back to the coop on their own. But, free ranging can be risky and dangerous for the birds. I personally wouldn't free range my chickens, because I wouldn't want a hawk or other predator to attack them.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sometimes free ranging birds also get "chicken napped," because the perps know nobody is watching.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

10. gidgarden

gidgarden Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2014
    Raleigh NC
    Thanks for help gang, I'm working in the yard this weekend, I'll try it then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by