turning her inside out ? poop as big as yours , crying hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by strangeanimal, Mar 25, 2017.

1. strangeanimal

strangeanimal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2017
    Belgium
    one of my hen is constantly walking around as if she is eggbound , she did lay so that ain't the issue , stepped into the pen and saw her doing weird , I first tought ' is she now again going to lay ? ' no but she did act like it , once she got up if I went to gave them treats I saw what it was , I believe her if she is wining and crying now ! I don't think I would just sit on the toilet reading a magazine while creating such a huge amount of such size ! it is not hard (luckily for the poor girl !! ) but it is also not watery enough for diarria , she still eats and drinks ( drinks a lot more than usual too ) and she has gotten medicin (panacur ) before so I don't know what this could be and how she got it , it looks just exactly like a poop coming from a dog , big and brown ( usually it is a bit dark with white right ? ) could she still be infected by worms ? what causes something like this ?? I think for all safety I will watch her poop carefully and take a sample to look it under the scope and perhaps I should give her some extra stomach stones and if not better a cure of panacur ?? Can I please have your opinions on this ?
    She gets mixed food from special foodstore , I there bought two different sacs with grains and pellets , I always mix the two , one hand of that sac and one hand of that one so I don't have to start giving different food if one of the sacs is empty because I know that changing from food can cause some problems ( learned in past time and noticed these two combined are the best ) , the scraps I give are usually not cooked , they get some leaves of chicon , chunks we don't like to eat or some older bread which is always dried before giving it ( without fungus !!! ) , some outmeal leftovers in yoghurt / milk , rice (cooked ) , also some cooked veggies but without sauces / salt , some fruit ( they have daily some appels I give them bought for them by a local farmer who in october always has too much of it where he filles up some huge crates for me , I buy two and get one for free is the way it goes , along with vegetables not approved for selling that we can still eat too but I leave the biggest amounts for the chickens so they always have some fresh healthy snacks , since they're with that many and we ( my girl and I otherwise dont have enough scraps so each chicken would get some )
    That is what they eat plus I buy insects for my reptiles and I breed those so they also get daily fresh mealworms , crickets and grashoppers that became too big ( flyers ) . Any ideas VERY welcome since I don't understand what is going on , she did not poop AT ALL yesterday btw !!! :(((
    TY much for your concerns !
    *edit : they also get oystershells / grit and they can always pick up a little bit of stomachstones , I selected the finest for small birds from a brand most chicken and bird owners buy due it's good quality , not mixed into their food , it's hanging in a small bucket they know they can find it when they feel like , same goes for the rest , all in sperate buckets , water is daily fresh ( did forget few days ago but it looked quite clean and usually it is daily I refresh it )

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She might just be getting too much to eat. I would stop everything but the chicken layer feed for a week and see if that makes a difference. If they are reluctant to eat without all of the other foods, add a lot of water to a bowl of feed to make it runny. Add just a bit of plain yogurt and stir it in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by