Turning my old deer blind into a coop.

BulldogRon

Hatching
Jan 25, 2015
Have had this idea in my head for a while. Finally got the go ahead. ie. My wife got that part of the yard cleaned up and put to use.
[/IMG]

Very good work! My advice is to make sure you use 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the windows as that is the only predator-proof stuff there is in the way of fencing. Raccoons and dogs can rip through chicken wire as though it isn't there.

Then if you live in a very cold part of the country you may wish to put shutters up over some of the windows so you can close some of them during blowing snowstorms.

That makes a very attractive coop!

Thanks for the tips. I do have covers for the window. Just have them out for painting. Live in Texss we may see snow twice a year.

Oooh Texas - gets hot there I hear. Some of the BYC members have coops that have one whole side that is fencing (open-air). I don't have the expertise to advise you regarding your ventilation for such hot weather. I live in WA.

It is important though during cold weather to make sure your chickens can get out of the wind. So I would think your coop is very good for your winters since you do sometimes get snow.

Last edited:
I do plan on adding two shutter type windows for some added air circulation. Also have some smell vent panels to add at the roof level.

Finished the coop yesterday. Have had 8 week old chickens in the coop now for a week. Have not let them into run just yet. Question? How much longer do you guys recommend that they stay in coop to allow them to know this is the safe place and where I sleep? Will allow to free range with supervision in a few weeks as well. Can they be in the run at this time? BTW have 5 barred Plymouth Rocks and 5 Delawares

I think a week is probably long enough for them to 'home' to the coop.

You could let them out into the run and watch their behavior at dusk, you might have to help them go back into the coop at night at first.
Once they are going in to roost from the run at night by themselves for a couple weeks, then you can start to let them free range.

Often best to have the first free range session just an hour or so before dusk, so they don't go too far away before heading back to the run and coop to roost.
Then start letting them out earlier and earlier.

Back
Top Bottom