Turning Oops

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shaky6, Feb 12, 2013.

1. shaky6

shaky6 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2013
    Just discovered on day 14 that I never plugged in my egg turner. I feel compelled to wait it out...

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    are they alive at candle? then keep on trucking!! [​IMG]

3. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you candle, and if so, what were the results? I hope you'll follow up and let us know what happens....this could be a really good learning experience for us all. I hope it works out well!

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    some people believe in the no turn technique. just turn for a few more days like you would and see what happens.

5. shaky6

Jan 29, 2013
    I've got a new candler coming because the last idea with a flashlight and a toilet paper tube didn't work so well. Maybe I'll have it tomorrow. Not exactly sure if I know what I'm doing though. You can read all day long about how to, but unless you see it done its kind of hard to know whats what.

6. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    I turn more on day 15-18 so the chicks can exercise for hatching. They will hatch OK.

7. shaky6

Jan 29, 2013
    That's great to hear. My first batch got a 50% hatch rate with late delivered eggs and reject eggs as a replacement and had a heck of a time getting my new incubator to even out with a temp setting. Now my 2nd batch wasn't even turned for 2 weeks. I'm curious to see how determined nature is.

8. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    Last fall I had a hen that didn't turn her eggs for 10 days. I think she had 5 eggs under her, 3 hatched. We started turning the eggs for her when we saw that everything was on one side of all the egg. I think only one stayed stuck. I think some of yours should make it.

9. shaky6

Jan 29, 2013
    I just candled them with my new candler, and yep, this thing is so much easier to use than the po folk method. 2 out of the 12 never even developed blood vessels, one looks to be much smaller and slower in development than the others. The rest are dark through the middle with a defined air pocket up top. What else should I look at?

10. shaky6

Jan 29, 2013
    Not a single hatch by day 24

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by