turning quail eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by martyweakley, Mar 26, 2015.

1. martyweakley

martyweakley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    hello all i just started my first batch of northern bobwhite eggs(55). i have read some people says not to turn the first three days,some dont mention this what is your oplnion? thanks for our help.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have heard this as well. I have always turned my eggs right from the start. Keeps the yolk centered within the egg along with helping to nourish the growing embryo. I have never had bad hatches from turning my eggs these first few days. I think it is entirely up to you on this.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    X2 [​IMG]

5. martyweakley

martyweakley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    thanks for the help two crows,i just love this forum so much info and a big help for us newbies

6. Woodlebrain

Woodlebrain Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    BC, Canada
    if I could piggy-back on your post; we are day 4 on our first ever quail egg adventure. I started turning day 2. I have been turning them 360 degree but just read that you are only supposed to rock them back & forth 180 degrees. Why is this & is 2 1/2 days of going all the way round going to affect my hatch?

7. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Turning the egg 360 deg would put the yolk back at the same spot. It helps to turn the eggs so the yolk does not settle in one spot. by only turning it 180 deg, the yolk will settle a bit to one side and then when turned, settle back the other way a bit..... The goal being to keep the yolk in centered in the shell..... And no, you have not done any harm at this early stage of the incubation.... Good luck, Bill

8. Woodlebrain

Woodlebrain Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    BC, Canada
    maybe I misread the article. I have the X on one side & o on the other. Each turn is 180 degrees at each turning but I only turn in 1 direction where as the article was saying just rotate back & forth like a boat.

9. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Yes, on the "x" then 180 degs to the "o" side when turning by hand. A egg turner tilts to about a 45 deg angle one way then over to about a 45 deg the other way. But with the egg in a up right position... Like a rocking boat if that's what you mean.... I may have needlessly confused you. If you are using the "X" then rolling it to the "O" side, that's right. Maybe it is I that misunderstood.... I thought you were rolling 360 degs, a complete roll every time.... "X" then "O"... How you get from one to the other is no real issue.... A old hen just shuffles them around some and don't worry much about it! ;-)

10. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee

I just put a sharpee marker in the coop and let the hen do her own marking of x and o's. he he he..

Seriously though, I have a rack system and sometimes its hard to see x and o so I started using a line on the end. I just start on one end "at the big end" and half way up draw a line, that way I can see it from an angle. The x and O is the best way.

Shout out to TwoCrows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by