1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turning question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cclarke, Mar 5, 2008.

1. cclarke

cclarke New Egg

Feb 28, 2008
    Washington State
    Is it okay to turn eggs 3 times a day on some days and 5 times a day on others? My husband and I have different work schedules every day. I've heard that turning 3 times a day is good but 5 times is better. I can manage the 3 times but there are days when we can turn 5 times. Should I just stick with the same number the entire incubation period?

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't see why not. I'm sure a hen doesn't keep count. [​IMG]

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I dont' think mother hen's can count... so turn when you can - so long as the eggs don't end up on the same side overnight or for extended periods..... (hence the uneven number of turns per day)

4. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Is it okay to turn eggs 3 times a day on some days and 5 times a day on others?

YES, it OK. I have planned hatches so days 3-8 fell on a holiday plus weekend because that is the most critical turning period (the more turns, the better as the circulatory system & other vitals are developing those critical days) and turned 5, 7 and even 9 times on some of those days and just 3 times on my work days. I had 100% hatch rate using this manual & varied turn method.

Chris​

5. cclarke

cclarke New Egg

Feb 28, 2008
    Washington State
    Thanks everyone! Chris, I did not know that there are critical turning days, so that info is very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by