Turning Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flawedatdesign, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Okay building an incubator from household stuff. Just need to know how far I need to turn the eggs. SO I know what I need to make to do so.

2. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I turn mine at a 45 degree angle or so , but of course this is my first hatch due July 2-3, but from what i've read on this site seems to be OK.
    Good Luck
    Ayda

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    45 degrees is sufficient. Just enough not to let the innards stick.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If you are going to hand turn the eggs I would turn them around 7 am, 3pm and 11pm. Also I would put an X on one side of the egg and an O on the other side of the egg and always turn the eggs in the same direction so that at 7am all of the X's are up, at 3pm the O's are up and 11pm the X's are up. Then the opposite the next day. Just my suggestions. Here are a couple of pictures a friend of mine took to illustrate.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    hi i use gqf's they are less than 45 around 40 degrees. i think. as far as turning i have a nic little incubator that has one tray and its supported threw the sides of the case with a shaft and one end has a handle to rotate front to back. it works nice if you have the time to do the turning.[​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Nice!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by