Turning refrigerated eggs???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JordanFamily, Jul 1, 2010.

1. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Songster

Feb 4, 2008
    Archie, MO
    I have several chicken eggs that I have kept in my fridge and have turned them 3 times a day everyday. I have collected them for the past 2 weeks and plan on putting them in the bator on Tuesday... My question is: I'm leaving town around 5pm on Friday and will not be back until the same time on Sunday and I will not be able to turn them while I'm gone, so do you think 2 days without turning would cause problems??? Please let me know your experiance and not just guesses.... Thanks so much

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Songster

Feb 4, 2008
    Archie, MO
    Anyone!!! Please!

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I think you'll be fine. I only turned mine once a day while they were in the refrigerator and I'm not entirely sure even that was necessary unless I was going to keep them in there for a week or more.

4. greathorse

greathorse Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I really think that the lack of turning is less of an issue than having them refrigerated, unless you have them at about 55 degrees or therabouts. Chilled eggs don't hatch very well, it is possible but odds are less. There are many accounts of refrigerated eggs hatching but it is not an ideal situation. I have hatched many many eggs that I did not turn until they go in the incubator. I keep mine in a 65 degree basement.

It is my belief (understanding) that excersizing the embryo prior to incubation is desired but not critical. If your fride is running at a normal temp I would get them out of there and into a cool (basement) place.

My opinion after several years of hatching is that you should get them out of your fridge and put them somewhere to cool, and I would not stress about turning them.

If you want to turn them and you have a turner put them in a turner in a cool place.

Good Luck

5. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Songster

Feb 4, 2008
    Archie, MO
    Quote:Thanks for the advice but I have 99% hatch rate and have always stored my hatching eggs in my fridge at around 40 to 45 degrees... Maybe it would be different if you just place them anywhere in your fridge... But I wrap each egg in a napkin and then place them in an egg carton and put them in the vegi bin and they do very well... Like I said 99% hatch rate...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by