Turning Shed into coop..with fenced in yard for chickens.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by adelore, Apr 7, 2012.

1. adelore

adelore Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Hart, Michigan
    Hello, I am new here and new to chickens as welll. I have 10 new chicks and my duaghter has 4 new ducks. We currently have the chicks in the house..they are about 2 weeks old.

We have started to turn our old shed that once was used for Guiena pigs into a chicken coop. It has 3 small windows, with screens, that we plan on putting wire mesh cloth on to protect the chickens and ducks with. We have one large window that doesn't open.

We are going to be fencing our chickens and ducks in because we live in the country and have critters out this way. My husband suggested using milk crates for nesting boxes and attaching them to the wall. I know that I have to put a board across the front of them to keep straw from falling out, also I need to add a perch.

Our shed has a cement floor, I also need to build them a door to come out of the coop.

I have been doing a lot of reading about keeping ducks and chickens together. I read both bad and good about it. What are your thoughts?

Our Ducks are no longer in this tank. They have been moved outside in the Chicken/Duck Coop into a 750 10 foot stock tank, they have the Red Light and straw for bedding. The chicks have now grown into this stock tank and are no longer in their tote.

The brown building is going to be the chicken coop, this is my adult daughter who is helping me to put in the poles for the chicken run. The small window opens, there are three window like this, one on each side, so they'll be able to get good ventilation when the weather is warmer. I thought about making a chicken door just below the big window closer to the ground level. That is a snowball bush that will be just outside their pen. We are going to build them perches outside in the pen also. My hubby said they'd like that. The leanto attached to the shed is storage. Because of the 2 small dogs and 5 cats that we have a fenced in area with top is required for the safety of the chicks & ducks, not to mention the safety of the cats. Any ideas you all could give to us would be great.[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. otowner98

otowner98 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Ottawa, Illinois
    Howdy. I did something very similar about this time last year. I took a 10x20 (ish) shed and divided it into three compartments:

#1 - Front, 10x6, storage, cat, door & a window (non-opening). Separated from #2 by a 2"x3" studded wall with1/4" plywood (open at rafter level for air-flow).

#2 - Middle, 10x5, accessed through one half of a double door (other half goes right into #3), nest boxes protrude into far end. Separated from #3 by a 2x3 wall with chicken wire up to about 10', and a cheap, wooden screen door, which allows access to the coop proper.

#3 - Back, 10x9, the actual coop. Nest boxes in one corner, roosts (diaganol) in the next, nipple-waterer bucket and door (on pulley accessed outside) in the third, and other half of double door (used only for cleaning out) and screen door in the 4th corner. Food is in a 30lb galvanized feeder hanging off a rafter.

The outdoor run is 2x3 framed, 8'x12'x3'h, chicken wire covered, with a small, lockable gate for access (chicken door is too small for me :)).

We have a concrete floor, but I keep the coop covered in about 8-12" of wood shavings, which probably get changed out quarterly. I have a poop-board under the roosts, which is a big part of why I can go that long between changing the shavings out. The concrete really seemed to help keep the coop cooler last summer, which was a big help. I also installed two louvered 8x16" vents on either side, near the floor level (air in), and two large 20x30" gable vents near the peak of the roof (air out).

If I can figure out how to do it (I might not have enough posts), I'll post some pictures.

3. adelore

adelore Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Hart, Michigan
    I'd really enjoy seeing pictures of your coop. It sounds like your coop is really a great setup. I still haven't finished the inside of our coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by