Turning the eggs... I have a question.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mikki717, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    I set 3 dozen eggs in my incubator this morning, and just found out I will need to be out of town for three days. Do you think I can let them sit without turning for that long at day three through six?

I am also having a hard time keeping my humidity level. If I put a small pot in, I go from 45 to 53. If I take all water out, I am at about 19. Will it be too much of an issue if I let it go low for the first week? Maybe a tall cup, but with a smaller circumference?

I have a home made wine cooler incubator.

[​IMG]

2. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    I personally would try to find someone to turn them for you and watch the humidity. I can't go 3 days without supplementing my water. Mark each egg with an X on one side, a O on the other, then they'll know which ones they've turned.
    Looking at you meter, if it's accurate you're at 102 degrees, a little warm. Try to drop it a couple degrees to 99.5 to 100.

Good luck with you eggs and hope you have lots of fuzzy butts running around the start of next month. [​IMG]

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Humidity isn't as crucial at the start, but a pan with lots of surface area is what you want so water evaporates.

4. mikki717

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    Quote:The pic was from my first hatch. Since then I have added a few river rocks to even out temps, and a water wiggler that holds steadyish at 99.7.

5. mikki717

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    Quote:If I increase the water surface, won't that raise the humidity? I am trying to get in the 30's for the first few weeks.

6. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    the eggs will be fine im sure just make sure to turn them reguarly once you get back i hatched 9 eggs the humidity wont matter for the first week [​IMG]

7. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

If you just set the eggs, I would not worry about the humidity untill you get back. It most likely has not setteled yet from the egg addition. As far as turning, do you have an alternative?? It would be best if they were turned maybe at least once a day, twice a day would be better. If you can't make arrangements to have them turned, just wait til you get back and get them on a schedule and see how they develope. Most of the studies I have seen even suggest turning eggs in storage while they are waiting to be put in the incubator. .......stan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by