Turning their beaks up at warm food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Loriemarler, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Loriemarler

Loriemarler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Blanchard OK
    I tried to feed my pair a warm corn meal mash yesterday and warm oatmeal today but they wouldn't have any of it. I was just trying to give them something warm since it is so cold 10 degrees today What did I do wrong?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Have you tried feeding them mash or oatmeal etc before? It often takes chickens awhile to get comfortable eating something new. You might try mixing it in with their regular food or something you know they will eat, and feeding it in their regular food pan etc.

3. Loriemarler

Feb 23, 2014
    Blanchard OK
    I just got them a week ago and they were never given anything but scratch and game bird crumbles. So far I have given them tomatoe, lettuce, Mexican rice, corn bread, and biscuits with good results. But I have a lot of corn meal i was hoping to feed them a little at a time

4. Hooligans7

Hooligans7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    North-central Arkansas
    Hi Loriemarler, you might try mixing a tablespoonful of molasses into the mash. And as Kelsie said, it may take a few tries to get them used to it.

5. Loriemarler

Feb 23, 2014
    Blanchard OK

Well the molasses worked. When I left the coop they were chowing down like they were starving lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by