turning trays...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken_noob, Jul 19, 2011.

1. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    I have yet to get to hatch my own eggs. I am slowly gathering info. I was wondering when you turn the eggs by hand or by an auto turner, how far you turn them. Is it end over end or something like 45° one direction then back past 0° till your at 45° in the opposite direction. I like to think how things work and how I could make my own. Thanks for your time and info.

2. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    When you hand turn them, you lay them down with the small end slightly pointing down. Then you make an X in the center of the egg on one side and on the other side, you would make an O, this way you would know that you have turned everyone of them and to the right position. You want to turn them 3-4 times a day so the embryo gets the exercise that it need and so it doesnt stick to the membrane.
    When you put them in a turner (thats what I did), you put the in, small end down, and the turner slowly turns them all day back and forth. I would say they turn slightly more than a 45* angle (I think). Hope I could help you out and good luck!

3. chicken_noob

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Thanks for the info.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    You can make your own "roller" using grid like for tree ornaments. Only put an egg in each slot. A guy here on BYC made one and then attached a motor to pull it back and forth.Rolling the egg from O to X and back again. Maybe that's something for you to look into. GL

5. chicken_noob

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Again, thanks for that info. I will look into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by