Turning vs Tilting

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by valreegrl, May 21, 2010.

1. valreegrl

valreegrl Songster

May 7, 2009
    Okay seasoned hatchers........

Has anyone used an egg carton from day one and just tilted back and forth?
    Wondering if it will work.

I am using a LG Still Air that has been running for a month. My last hatch had a catastrophic temp spike at day 17 [​IMG]
    But the temp/humidity is staying steady and everything is running smoothly now. Just put my second batch in tonight......21 eggs total.
    But turning all those eggs could get daunting.

Soooo.....I am tossing around either getting an auto-turner or trying the egg carton.

My thought with the carton is to just prop one side and then the other side and then back again each day. Think it's enough?

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Tilting is fine--that's how the auto-turners do it. But you'll still need to do it at least three times a day. [​IMG]

3. valreegrl

valreegrl Songster

May 7, 2009
    Tilting in a carton? I thought I would use a sponge and prop one end. Then when it's time to turn to move the sponge to the other end and so on, 3 times a day.

You think I should just put them in the carton pointy end down and try it? Anyone do this with luck?

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    If you're describing what I think you are, it's not all that different from what the auto turners do. Place the eggs in the carton pointy end down, and prop one side up so they are at a 45 degree angle. Change sides three times a day. I haven't done it that way myself, but like I said, it's exactly what the auto turner do (except they do it once every hour or two, and it's a gradual motion). And I know of other people who do it that way. So yes, I'd say that would work. Maybe someone with actual experience that way will pipe up--maybe change your subject heading to "egg turning in cartons" or something like that. Good luck!

5. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Our first hatch ever we used styofoam cartons, cut the bottoms out of each egg holder. The we took a paint stirrer stick and duct taped legs on each end (think capital letter I ) the cartons fit perfectly so you can tilt them back and forth. Stuck something under the up end, switched it back and forth. Had a 85% hatch rate.

Good luck!

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    BAD idea with a still air, either the high end will be to hot or the lower end will be to cool. remember 101 at top of egg.

That would work with forced air incubator.

7. valreegrl

valreegrl Songster

May 7, 2009
    Thanks deerman....I was wondering that myself.

I think I will get a turner [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: