Turns out its a male (Tom/Jake)

zook

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
Previously quite a bit ago I posted pics of a turkey that I was trying to determine gender. I thought Male but overwhelming majority said hen. Now at for sure 6 months + this turkey appears to be growing spurs. From all I read the consensus is only males grow spurs. please look over these pics and tell me if these do look like spurs appearing. I took the best pics I could and checked my other two "hens" and they have no such growths on the back of thier legs. And one is older than the one in the pics. The urgency is I thought I had 3 hens and was about to get a Tom but it appears I may have a one. I know one look at the head and most will say hen but the presence of spurs growing is what may or may not sway the gender issue. The head shot he of course tucked in his snod which I have seen hang below his beak slightly and the flash washed out how red he actually was at the time. I really would like to hear from experienced keepers if these are spurs and if females can have them too. This is a bronze/wild turkey mix.

Opinions??

Last edited:
That is a female turkey.

I notice her upper beak is severely overgrown and I'm sure it makes it hard for her to eat. A simple snip with the dog nail clippers will take care of it. Clip it so that it is flush with her bottom beak, you can see the line where the excess growth differs from the living part of the beak.

That is a female turkey.

I notice her upper beak is severely overgrown and I'm sure it makes it hard for her to eat. A simple snip with the dog nail clippers will take care of it. Clip it so that it is flush with her bottom beak, you can see the line where the excess growth differs from the living part of the beak.
I am guessing that I'd be likely in for the battle of my life. None of my turkeys will hardly let me pat their back let alone grab them, immobilize them, grab the head and snip of the beak tip. It eats fine so I'll just leave it until it appears feeding is an issue but thanks for the close inspection of the head shot. By chance did you notice the close-ups of the legs. Spurs??

Yes, I looked all the pictures you posted. All hens have nubs. Here is an excerpt from an Eastern Wild sexing guide :
"An elongated spur used for fighting is located on the back side of the legs of males, just above the foot. Spurs appear as small bumps on the legs of young birds of both sexes, but grow with age only on males. Occasionally males will not have any spurs whatsoever. Spurs on hens are rare."

Also, it is actually not that hard to control one, its catching the base of the wing that's tuff. Once you get ahold of them, just fold both wings against the body and kinda hold them between your legs with the bird on the ground. They won't try to bit you and once they are on the ground, they calm down. I believe your bird will have a much better quality life if you could trim her beak, feathers can cover a lot, she may be underweight.

Yes, I looked all the pictures you posted. All hens have nubs. Here is an excerpt from an Eastern Wild sexing guide :
"An elongated spur used for fighting is located on the back side of the legs of males, just above the foot. Spurs appear as small bumps on the legs of young birds of both sexes, but grow with age only on males. Occasionally males will not have any spurs whatsoever. Spurs on hens are rare."

Also, it is actually not that hard to control one, its catching the base of the wing that's tuff. Once you get ahold of them, just fold both wings against the body and kinda hold them between your legs with the bird on the ground. They won't try to bit you and once they are on the ground, they calm down. I believe your bird will have a much better quality life if you could trim her beak, feathers can cover a lot, she may be underweight.
Thanks,
I guess I just didn't find that info when I searched. They only eat pelleted feed, no seeds oher than some sunflower seeds and millet (they love that) and they all greedily eat that so I think she eats enough and often without anything hard to pick up right now. I'm disabled with spinal problems so if I get down on purpose or accident may not get back up easily. I am alone here tending the animals while wife is out west visiting our daughter for the winter. I'd need help just in case.

Thanks,
I guess I just didn't find that info when I searched. They only eat pelleted feed, no seeds oher than some sunflower seeds and millet (they love that) and they all greedily eat that so I think she eats enough and often without anything hard to pick up right now. I'm disabled with spinal problems so if I get down on purpose or accident may not get back up easily. I am alone here tending the animals while wife is out west visiting our daughter for the winter. I'd need help just in case.
You can put a cinderblock or large stone in the coop..the birds will rub their beaks on the rough surface and keep it trimmed down themselves (like a cuddlebone). However, I know this works great for regular use, I don't know if a bird with an overgrown beak will work at rubbing enough to trim their beak down quickly...I suppose, over time tho...

You can put a cinderblock or large stone in the coop..the birds will rub their beaks on the rough surface and keep it trimmed down themselves (like a cuddlebone). However, I know this works great for regular use, I don't know if a bird with an overgrown beak will work at rubbing enough to trim their beak down quickly...I suppose, over time tho...
I'll definitely find something to put in there. Great idea thanks. Something is better than nothing at all. !

might sound crazy but I would get a recording of a tom gobbling and play it back. you can find them online. if your bird gobbles back its a tom.

might sound crazy but I would get a recording of a tom gobbling and play it back. you can find them online. if your bird gobbles back its a tom.
I downloaded a file of a Tom turkey gobbling and played it beside the turkeys pen on the laptop. That turkey in question most say is a girl soon as it heard it started a loud sqwauk noise, highly agitated or excited but not a typical turkey gobble back. The other two just tilted there heads from side to side and listened and made no sound. After I played it 2 x that turkeys we are trying to decide on its neck carnacles were so red, redder than I have ever seen on it. More confused than ever. lol.
idunno.gif

Would it be possible for you to get a few more pics of it like full body shots and it with the other turkeys. Also how old is it? I am very tempted to say its a hen but looking at the snood tells me otherwise, I find that the males snood when it is retracted(not elongated) looks like a horn, wider at the base and thinning toward the tip. Where a females snood is the same or very close to the same width from base to tip.,

Your turkeys snood says tom to me but its hard to tell, if its still young then it could be a tom with the still hen like appearance

For comparison here are one of my Adult Tom and hen snood pics

Tom with his snood retracted

hen

Back
Top Bottom