turquoise poop! really I swear!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by newchick13, Dec 8, 2011.

1. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    I'm not crazy....but I just went out to the run to distribute some fresh aspen shavings (to cover the wing deep mud from all the rain) and the chickens poop was turquoise! I did give them a head of purple cabbage so I am thinking that can account for the change. Has anyone else noticed a change in the color of the poop based on what they are eating? The cabbage was the ONLY change in diet. [​IMG]

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Purple cabbage will do that [​IMG]

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Hahaha I had that happen to me. My husband gave the baby chicks some shredded purple cabbage and didn't mention it to me. I went into the bathroom where the brooder was and they were pooping purple and blue and I freaked out!

4. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Blueberries=blue poop [​IMG]

5. geoff40

geoff40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Boonies, NH
    Quote:Sure will!

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I just walked in from hanging a red cabbage for my chicks and saw this message. Now I know that I'll be seeing 'decorations!' It also gives me the idea that red cabbage can be used to test the pH of my chicks' lower digestive tract. Red/purple poop= acidic, blue/turquoise= normal range (near neutral), green/yellow =basic. Not sensitive enough to detect small increments in pH, but still a good indicator! Yes, I see chemistry everywhere.

7. corgiscatsandchickens

corgiscatsandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Gallifrey
    Quote:[​IMG] Great idea! This will serve two purposes--monitor PH and play a really funny trick on my husband who is new to chickens. I'm going to get a head of red cabbage and feed it to the girls when he's not looking. He's SO gonna freak out at the poops! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by