1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Turtle Care! I'm your helper

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MonkeyZero, Jan 22, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Songster

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Hi

Well I have lots of turtles, so If you need any help with them, just tell me and I will do my best to help you.(This does not include tortoises, and any type of box turtle)

-Sindoora

2. brooster

brooster Songster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    What kind do you have?

3. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Songster

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Out of 23 turtles:
    10 Red Eared Slider
    4 Mata-Matas
    3 Yellow Bellied turtles
    3 Snapping Turtles
    3 Believe it or not, Chicken Turtles

4. brooster

brooster Songster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Aww i want one. [​IMG]

5. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Songster

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Sorry, but I'm not selling them yet, until the summer, right now, I have a female Red eared slider, who is getting ready to lay, so I'm waiting, This is my first time hatching turtles.

6. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Songster

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:Go to an Asian market they sell them here for $4.99 each, they weigh about 4# - 41/2#'s each, they are box turtles. I keep some in my garden now they are hibernating under leaves in a lean to I built for them, and yes they are full of eggs and have a nice layer of fat on their bodies. I would like to find a rooster for them to fertilize their eggs.

7. chickbea

chickbea Songster

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Eeee - I've got to see pictures of that! I love turtles!

8. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Songster

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    i have a question.....i have a male red eared slider in a 50 gallon tank. can he have a friend in with him? if not what can he have for fun. i swear he looks bored

9. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Songster

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    Believe it or not, Chicken Turtles

i need a pic. of a chicken turtle....gotta see what it looks like lol​

10. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Songster

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    I dont have a cam anymore but link to pics:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-chicken_turtle.htm

hsm5grls : How big is he? What gender/breed of turtle will you get? Some people say turtles are not very good in groups. WRONG! Mine eat, bask, sleep, and stay in a pack all the time.
    You can try some fish, like chiclids, Pelco, Koi(get a pond for them), catfish. They probably might not get eaten, but you never know.
    I have heard, some turtles, have small pingpong balls and they chase them around. I would get another turtle, but not a male, as they will fish, get a female, She has to be atleast 5years old to be able to reproduce. The ones they sale in Petco are 2-3 years old if 4 in.

Hop that helped

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: